The Harkey Blog

Sunday, February 13, 2005

Iron and Wine

Andrew Steger introduced me to a new artist several months ago called Iron and Wine. I have to admit, when I first listened to this guy's music, I was less than impressed. The CD I listened to was called "The Creek That Drank The Cradle" and it was just this guy who had recorded some songs in his bedroom with a really rudimentary recording setup. It is really lo-fi and basic. I think that's why I didn't like it at first.

However, the longer I have listened to this guy's stuff, the more I really like it. There is a understated simplicity to his music that really gets under your skin. It's not fancy, but if you're in just the right mood (think very mellow) then it's great. Think Nick Drake, Elliot Smith, etc.

What's funny is this guy is an art professor at some community college in Miami, FL and just writes and records music on the side. But through a series of fortunate accidents like having a song chosen for the Garden State Soundtrack, his music has really taken off in an underground, indie sort of way.

My favorite song right now? Check out "Naked As We Came" off of the album "Our Endless Numbered Days". (You can download the MP3 from his site at this link.)

Let me know what you think.

2 Comments:

  • You should check out the Iron & Wine EP from Feburary, "Woman King." Also, this week he released another EP with Calexico called "In the Reins." Both are very excellent, yet distinctly different from his lo-fi stuff.

    By Blogger Katie, at 3:01 AM  

  • I've got "Woman King", but I didn't know there was a new EP out. I'll have to check it out.

    By Blogger Brett, at 3:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home