The Harkey Blog

Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Done

Well, I did it. I couldn't ever get rid of the spyware/adware on my computer, so I finally bit the bullet, backed up my files, wiped my hard drive clean and re-installed windows (along with all of my programs).

Can I just say that this was one of the most time-consuming processes I've been a part of for a long time? Backing up didn't take too long. Cleaning up my hard drive and re-installing windows didn't even take that long. But re-installing all of my software did.

Why? Well, first of all, it's because every software publisher has anywhere from 3-30 updates for their program. That means you have to install the program, then go through a lengthy process of downloading and installing updates. Since the particular computer I was working on is used to edit video, create graphics, edit images, manage all of my music (36 gigabytes), hotsync with 2 Palm Pilots, etc, it took a very long time! On top of that, when re-installing that many programs, there are always snags and conflicts. it took quite a while to work those out as well.

But now it is done. That means I can get back to my already too-busy life.

4 Comments:

  • That's the best thing you could've done in that situation... now, throw IE away, make sure you do Windows Updates almost daily, and welcome to the wonderful world of Firefox.

    By Blogger Seth Gunderson, at 8:31 AM  

  • That stinks you had to do that. But isn't it a nice feeling to have a clean slate? I love the feeling of a freshly re-imaged computer. It's like God's forgiveness...nothing bad in the past is remembered.

    The thing I hate the most about re-imaging a computer is all the fine-tuning of toolbars and internet favorites....takes me another hour just to set all those customizations.

    By Blogger John Nelson, at 10:37 AM  

  • The big question is....
    Does your computer run faster now?
    I think I am going to have to do the same thing, but I don't know that I have the time. Maybe I could pay someone like Seth, Miller, or Roger to do it for me. It is not like I have all the money, I just have NO time to spend, especially if it takes as long as you say.

    By Blogger jlo, at 11:49 AM  

  • Yes, having a clean computer is like bliss. And to answer jlo's question... yes, my computer does run faster now.

    By Blogger Brett, at 3:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home