The Harkey Blog

Friday, August 10, 2007

What we're learning in school

Here's what I love about homeschooling. . .(Yes, I am a complete nerd.) I get to learn all of those things that I either wasn't taught or wasn't taught well or just didn't pay attention to when I was a kid.

So, this year, among other things, Maitlyn, Elspeth and I are going to study an overview of Creation through the Fall of Rome. We are going to read great literature set in the time period. We're going to make cool maps. We're going to overview the whole Bible historically and study the cultures of the various Bible places. We'll study ancient Egypt for three weeks while we're talking about Moses, for instance. And we'll study Ancient Rome when learning about the early church. I am going to learn so much! Maybe the kids will pick up a little something too.

Next week, we'll be reading (what I mean is I'll be reading aloud and the girls will be listening) The Golden Goblet, finishing up A Place In the Sun and making Egyptian Paddle Dolls.

And in science, we're going to start doing some fun experiments on our rock collection that we bought at the Discovery Channel Store closing sale.

We're looking forward to our first meeting with our homeschooling co-op next Friday. There we'll get to make Egyptian clay pots, go on a Nature Study outing to the new Botanical Gardens and begin our Presentation class (where Maitlyn and Elspeth will learn to speak in front of a small group, starting with Show and Tell and expanding with other skills from there).

5 Comments:

  • your family sounds lovely

    By Blogger Ahermitt, at 1:03 AM  

  • Sounds fun, can I come?

    By Blogger khunton, at 7:56 AM  

  • Elise, you have been tagged! See my blog for details!
    xoxo to you and your girls!

    By Blogger khunton, at 2:23 PM  

  • seriously...your curriculum makes my education look like a bump on a log.
    glad you got some great books at nightbirds...snail mail coming your way. thanks for the card! i love getting mail!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:23 AM  

  • Elsie, (misspell intended) I would absolutely love to see Amelia sing "If You're Happy and You Know It." I'm already laughing actually.

    By Blogger Stu, at 11:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home