The Harkey Blog

Monday, October 16, 2006

My First Wedding Photography Experience

I know, I know... I never post here anymore. I've even been quoted as saying that "blogs are so 2005".

So, here I am, ready to swallow my pride and write a post.

I shot (no, not with a gun... with a camera) my first wedding a few weeks ago. Amy Hanson and Eli Roberts were kind enough to trust that I could capture their wedding day well. I took the responsibility seriously - I get one opportunity to get it right, you know! Anyway, I spent plenty of time in advance preparing for the day. Then on September 23, I dove in headfirst and shot almost 1400 pictures. The beauty of shooting with a professional digital camera is that I could shoot as many pictures as I wanted, ensuring that I would get more "keepers" for the final product.

Then came lots of hard work processing (digitally) and editing the shots. After a few weeks, it is finished! I am actually REALLY pleased with how the images of the day came out. Here are a few samples:

The beautiful bride


The dashing groom


The couple


Exchanging vows




And you can check out more shots here.

One really cool thing happened. I posted the pictures to Collages.net for family and friends to view and also so that people can order prints. Collages.net hosts millions of wedding and portrait photos for photographers all over the country. Each week, they choose a "Site of the Week" to highlight one photographer's wedding pictures or portraits. Well I posted the pictures on Friday night and on Sunday night I got an email from Collages.net saying that the pictures from Amy & Eli's wedding had been chosen for the next "Site of the Week"!! All I can say is wow! I don't know why I've been so blessed after shooting my very first wedding, but I'm not complaining!

All in all it was a lot of work and also a lot of fun.

8 Comments:

  • Love the compositions! Excellent pictures Brett. Perhaps this will become a side job? ;) Plus..it's hard to have bad pictures with such pretty subjects. ;)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:49 AM  

  • Thanks, Esther! Yeah, I've actually started a photography business, so it is a side job.

    By Blogger Brett, at 9:16 AM  

  • Great shots Brett. It's really cool to see a different way God has blessed you creatively, other than music which you are also great at.

    The cool thing about capturing those is that you know that wedding pics, unlike any other pic, will remain a posession they hold onto for the rest of their lives. Vacation pics come and go, but wedding pics are the forever measure of how the day went, and according to your pics, it was a beautiful day!

    By Blogger Stephen Hunton, at 9:24 AM  

  • Love the photos man. keep up the great work. so where in fayetteville are you located? just wanted to know i just moved from there last year.

    -Ole

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:02 PM  

  • Brett, as I suspected, you would have done an excellent job doing are wedding had you been able to. Awesome job. Your work always gets me more excited about photography.

    By Blogger jlo, at 8:51 PM  

  • I loved the pictures from Amy & Eli's wedding! Did the pic you took of me & Whitney turn out? You can take pictures at Whitney's wedding if she ever gets married!! : )

    By Blogger Linda Virtue, at 11:26 PM  

  • Hi Linda! Yes, it did turn out - it's a great shot. I've been meaning to add it to the other shots on Amy & Eli's site, and you just reminded me to do it.

    By Blogger Brett, at 11:30 PM  

  • amazing work!
    exciting to see this really take off for you! all the best.

    By Blogger shauna, at 11:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home