The Harkey Blog

Monday, March 13, 2006

The Simple Life

At David's request, I will share a few of my thoughts on the Simple Life

When I think of the Simple Life, I am aiming for a life that is unencumbered. I don't want to be overwhelmed, bogged down, stressed out, mad and unhappy because of things in my life that are optional, i.e. things that are under my control. (I'm under no illusion that I can eliminate trials or hardship from my life.) There are things that I CAN and should do something about as a good steward of my life and my resources. Some of the things that I can manage in order to achieve a more unencumbered, simple life include: television and media input, busy schedules, sleep schedules, how much we accumulate, if we use or abuse debt, when I run errands, where I shop, social committments, multitasking, family dinner times, etc.

I first began to long for a simple life about 2 years ago, and I have been refining my habits and trying new approaches since then. Here are some things that I have decided.

1. An overly busy life is stressful for me and my family. Why jam-pack my life full of committments and make myself miserable trying to juggle them all? One or two things done well and enjoyed are much more valuable than filling every day with endless activity.
2. It's rarely worth the stress to run errands on Saturdays. Additionally, it is rarely worth the stress to shop at the Supercenter. Every time I go there, I feel like cussing when I leave.
3. Family meals shared at home around the kitchen table are extremely valuable and will continue to be a key component of our family life.
4. For me, multitasking is not a productive use of my time. Other than reading while I am feeding Amelia, I am trying to avoid multitasking. I don't watch TV while I make the grocery list. I am working to eliminate making phone calls in the car. I don't answer my phone when I am in the middle of something that is important (especially time with my family).
5. I can only do so much. I need to be okay with that.
6. Leisure is not a waste of time. Reading good books, spending time enjoying God's creation and being creative are worthwhile pursuits.
7. In general, television is not a worthwhile use of my time. I would rather get caught up in a good book.
8. I have what I need. I rarely need more stuff. I am okay with not wearing the latest fashion.(I'd better be since I get new clothing at a rate of once every couple of years.)
9. Having more stuff makes life more complicated.
10. Technology is a blessing AND A CURSE! (But I still enjoy my iPod.
11.Having a simple life usually involves eliminating some things (or at least making some choices not to add things). As I continue to desire and work toward simplicity, I ask myself, "Does this thing, activity or pursuit enrich my life?" If not, I probably need to eliminate it.

There is so much more I could ramble about, but I'll call it quits now. Part of my new Simple Life involves trying to get to bed at a decent hour.

4 Comments:

  • AMEN to this post!!

    i HATE a busy life. i don't like a lot on my plate. i don't like having so much "stuff" either. after moving, i was totally bummed about all the junk we accumulate. but then i started sorting and i think, "well, we will need this stuff for when we go hiking or camping or something, . ..and then we will need this stuff for our trips to canada . .and then we will need this for . . " . . .blah blah blah. .

    i did however immediately label a box for the thrift store and am still throwing stuff in there. and i am also learning that "it's okay" to throw stuff away.

    By Blogger shauna, at 9:03 AM  

  • Thanks, friends, for your thoughts. They are encouraging to me.

    As far as "de-stuffing" goes, I am on-board with that, too. I have incorporated some ideas that I found through flylady.net. She encourages a 15-minute decluttering every day. I wish I could say that I do decluttering that often, but any decluttering is better than none at all, right.

    Right now, I have several bags in my garage of decluttered stuff. They will eventually go to a good cause, but for now at least they are out of the way and not cluttering my life. Stuff complicates life! If it's not useful or beautiful, then I need to get rid of it. And Shauna hit on something. . .the "I might need it" factor. I think we need to keep that in check. If we've really used something in the past year, then we should probably keep it, but otherwise, will it ever get used? Even as I write this comment, I am thinking of some things that need to go into the give away pile.

    I'm all about a Grove garage sale for any good cause if God calls someone to organize it.

    By Blogger Elise, at 3:44 PM  

  • I totally agree with you all. There are so many things in my life that are completely superfluous. Like the way magazines pile up, or how I have to store things that I'll never use again. I see organization as a weakness of mine, but I also know how much more peaceful my life is when I am organized. Elise, you're right. Some things I can't eliminate (like unending dishes and laundry, spending 8 hours a day at work, etc), but there are things I can do to eliminate the clutter (stuff, time, noise, finances, etc.). I am getting better at throwing things away, creating a system for things I have to keep, and doing things to destress myself, like read or find quiet. I hope to see more and more progress in this area of my life as time goes by.

    And...I completely identify with CART RAGE! Why do they have to make the aisles so small and the carts so big? Does anyone else remember the little carts that folded up with the flat basket? Sure, they were small, but they sure made "shopping traffic" more negotiable.

    By Blogger Virginia, at 9:25 AM  

  • ditto. although my task-master multi-tasking, stressther personality often likes to challenge my new simple life...like right now at the office...i just tell myself to breathe..and go home. which is what i'm doing now. simple is good. you just know when you've had enough.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home