The Harkey Blog

Friday, September 30, 2005

Coldplay Under The Moon

So, a week ago, me, James, Andrew, Jason and Cass drove 3.5 hours to Kansas City to see Coldplay. We took off around Noon from Jason's house and later that afternoon, ended up at the Plaza. We walked around for a bit, drooled over some cool stuff at the Apple store and then went to Cheesecake Factory for a tasty dinner.

Thank you, helpful Cheesecake waitress lady for suggesting that we share a HUGE appetizer sampler and 2 entrees. It was just right.

We then drove to the Verizon Wireless Amphitheater in Bonner Springs, KS. I *thought* that this was just a suburb of KC. Apparently it is a town about 20 miles out of KC. We hit this huge traffic jam about 30 minutes before the opening band, Rilo Kiley was to take the stage. After about 45 minutes of slowly driving through this traffic jam, we realized that it was all concert traffic! Well, we finally made it to the venue, parked and walked to the amphitheater.

Our tickets were in 3 different places, so after deciding on a rendevous point, we split up and went to our seats.

Oh, and I waited with James while he bought a shirt.

Our seats weren't bad. They weren't great either. I'm a bit of a concert snob, so really the only seats I would get really excited about are front and center. And we weren't front and center. We were middle and right.

Oh well, I could still see pretty well.

Sound was ok. At the first, the wind was blowing a bit and sort of messing with the sound. Finally the wind died down and it sounded pretty good.

Coldplay was awesome. They are one of my favorite bands right now. X&Y is the album of the year, in my opinion (Death Cab's, "Plans" is second best). Some highlights of the show:

1. The big yellow balls filled with gold confetti (released during "Yellow")
2. The red light that Chris Martin swung around his head in the middle of "Fix You"
3. They played "Swallowed in the Sea"
4. They covered Johnny Cash's "Ring of Fire"
5. I know it is probably cliche, but I loved "Fix You"
6. The big LCD screen behind the band
7. The countdown/countup on "Square One"
8. The rest of the songs they played...

After the show, we traffic jammed it up for a while, then jumped back on the interstate for our late-night ride home. 3.5 hours and a couple of Red Bulls later, and we were home (at 3:30 a.m.!).

I'll never forget the freewheelin' 80's!

6 Comments:

  • Here's to those freewheelin' 80's man. Those yellow balls were pretty freakin' cool as well.

    By Blogger James Miller, at 1:55 AM  

  • I think I'm the only person on the planet who isn't a fan of Coldplay.

    Great elevator music.

    By Blogger John Nelson, at 8:11 AM  

  • I realize that not everyone can have the musical maturity to love a great band like Coldplay. I won't hold it against you, Nelson...

    By Blogger Brett, at 9:38 AM  

  • Boo Hissy on Coldplay! They didn't play "Green Eyes" in Dallas and I'm mad! BOO HISSY COLDPLAY!

    By Blogger Shelli, at 11:54 AM  

  • You call it musical maturity? I thought they were called ears??
    :)

    By Blogger John Nelson, at 1:54 PM  

  • Brett, I am in complete agreement about your albums of the year (and "Collision" is working it's way onto that list). I saw Coldplay in Dallas a week ago today and delighted in the show. I love "Fix You" too; I think it's my favorite song they've written.

    By Blogger Schellhase, at 9:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home