The Harkey Blog

Thursday, June 03, 2010

God's Will and Leading

Someone asked me a very good question this Sunday at church, "Do you feel that God is leading you to move to Colorado? Or do you just want to move to Colorado?" The answer to both questions is a resounding, "Yes!"

For some reason, we have this idea that following God's will for our lives means opposing our wills. If there is something that we want to do, about which we feel passionate, that we enjoy, we think that God wants us to do the opposite. We believe that He wants to ruin our fun, test us to see how much we love Him and make us miserable.

I do not deny that God sometimes calls us to do hard things. But I have come to believe, over the years, that God uses the way He made us to bring glory to Himself. What I mean is this: God made me. He gave me certain interests, desires, likes and dislikes. He gave me spiritual gifts and natural abilities. As I walk with Him each day, I can honor Him by being who He made me to be.

Our family has had a love affair with Colorado for some time. Brett has had a growing interest in landscape photography. We believe that God gave us these interests and desires, and we've chosen to act on them. We know that God can work in and through us wherever we are and in whatever vocations we chose for our lives. And more than that, we think that when we act in a way that embraces the way that He created us, we give Him more honor. We are happy servants, cheerful givers, fulfilled people. By our actions, we say, "God, thanks for making me exactly who I am. I am enjoying who You made me to be. You are the master Creator and You don't make mistakes."


4 Comments:

  • Well said! We have been praying for your house to sell so y'all can pursue these passions.

    By Blogger John Nelson, at 8:37 AM  

  • YES! You betcha!

    Have you ever heard of the book "Descision Making and the Will of God" ?

    Totally gave me a different perspective (in a good way) though initially it was challenging as I was accustomed to acting in life as 'seeking to be IN Gods will'.

    Essentially,I think God is more concerned with our MORAL will in the midst of our earthly circumstances which we have freedome to pursue as He's giften us.

    Cheers on your adventure. Wherever it leads I'm confident in both your characters that you'll surely glorify God no matter the location or vocation.

    -h

    By Blogger Heidi , at 12:01 PM  

  • Heidi, I think you have mentioned that book to me before. Do you have a copy? If so, I'd love to borrow it. Based on reading the amazon reviews, it sounds similar to a different book I read, Step by Step: Divine Guidance for Ordinary Christians by Petty.

    By Blogger Elise, at 9:32 PM  

  • AMEN! I love this post. It is so true. I Love knowing that God created my heart in me, that he gave me the dreams and desires that I have! It is reassuring to know that in His timing, He will complete the work he started in me... Praying your house sells!!

    By Blogger Chris and Carrie, at 10:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home