The Harkey Blog

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Simplifying

There's nothing like a pending move to encourage you to simplify your life and minimize your possessions.

Since we moved into this house, we've been eliminating, paring down and simplifying quite a bit. We've had 2 garage sales per year and have slowly let go of things that we just don't need, don't like or don't serve us any longer.

Recently, it struck me that my possessions take a lot of time to maintain. Some of them need to be dusted. Some need to be picked up and put away. Some need to be washed. All of them will need to be packed. If I had fewer possessions, then I'd have less to keep track of and maybe more time to sit and talk with my husband or read a book to my kids.

I was reminded that God clothes us, even if our clothes don't look as beautiful as the flowers'. I decided to pare down my wardrobe. I kept 7 spring/summer outfits and a couple of items that I couldn't give up just yet (but probably will if I don't use them prior to our move). I kept my running shoes, Crocs for camping, a pair of brown Sketcher Mary Janes (which are still being evaluated) and my Chacos. I kept one summer purse.

My clothing life is much simpler. When I look in my closet in the morning, I have only a few choices. I don't have to look through several tank tops to find the one that works best with my outfit because I got rid of the tank tops that didn't work. I don't have to scan through clothes that I don't like anymore or that I used to keep because I spent money on them and I felt obligated to use them someday.

I am faithfully pursuing a fitness plan, and I am hoping that I'll be wearing a different size clothes very soon. And I'm trusting that God will provide the resources I need to purchase those clothes (or He may choose to provide them in a different way).

"Therefore do not be anxious, saying, What shall we eat? or What shall we drink? or What shall we wear? For the Gentiles seek after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them all. But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you." Matthew 6:31-33

2 Comments:

  • Sounds GREAT Elise!! My mom saved some of her clothes as she lost her 100+ lbs. She is part of a weight loss group (through first place for health) and after she became to small for her size, she gave away clothes to women who were also loosing wt for their in-between sizes. I thought that was really neat!

    Hoping the best for you!

    By Blogger Heidi , at 1:47 PM  

  • Heidi, What a wonderful idea your mom had. Thanks for sharing that with me!

    By Blogger Elise, at 9:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home