The Harkey Blog

Thursday, October 21, 2004

Poker and Baseball

How's that for a guy oriented Blog topic title?

6 of the guys from community group came over to our house on Tuesday night to play poker. Specifically, "No Limit Texas Hold 'Em." It was extremely fun. Don't get me wrong, I like playing Halo as much as the next guy, but, there was something really refreshing about looking at each other's faces instead of a TV screen while playing a game. It was also good to have actual conversations while playing. I've become a new fan of poker. I think we're going to play somewhat regularly. Not every week, but at least maybe once a month.

And to the second part of the Blog title... Baseball. Anyone who knows me very well knows that I've been a lifelong fan of the Chicago Cubs. Because of that, I don't really like the St. Louis Cardinals (they are division rivals). Additionally, I'm not a fan of the NY Yankees. I'm not exactly sure why, I think it has something to do with all of those world series that they have won. I mean, come on... how many more do you need? Share the love! Anyway, the comeback by the Boston Red Sox (favorite team of Elise's brother, Nick) was phenomenal! They were down 3 games to 0 in the series against the Yankees and they came back to win the last 4 and win the series! The grand slam last night by Damon was the nail in the coffin for the Yanks. So, now tonight, I'm rooting for Houston to beat St. Louis. Anyway you slice it, I'd like to see the Red Sox win the World Series. At least that way, 1 of the 2 teams with a "curse" can move on...

2 Comments:

  • Do you mean Snickerjuana cookies?

    (For those who are reading this comment who weren't at poker night... No, we did not have marijuana in the Snickerdoodles. They were an Emeril Lagasse recipe from www.foodtv.com. They were really good and so we said that they must have some addictive substance in them. Hence the "snickerjuana" cookies. Oh, the lengths I have to go as a pastor to explain myself sometimes...)

    By Blogger Brett, at 3:52 PM  

  • That's really funny.

    By Blogger John Nelson, at 4:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home