The Harkey Blog

Wednesday, October 06, 2004

As Promised--Backpacking from the Perspective of a Novice

Before our trip, I had never packed a backpack, assembled a tent or filtered water. For me our trip was all about learning the ropes. I can't think of a better teacher than Brett, and I can't think of any place I'd rather be "broken in" than the beautiful Rocky Mountains, so while I was learning how to set up camp, pack up camp and fend off bears, I got to enjoy some of the most beautiful scenery imaginable.

As you probably read in Brett's blog, we didn't get to camp in the backcountry as much as we had planned. Originally, we were supposed to spend Tuesday through Saturday on the trail, in the back country. The way it worked out, we spent Tuesday in Moraine Park campground, Wednesday in the back country, Thursday in a hotel in Boulder, and Friday in Moraine Park again. I wish I could have gotten a feel for the routine of true backpacking, and I wish that I could have had some quiet, restful moments at our backcountry campsite to pray, sit and soak it all in, but with the crazy weather and new plans being made every day that didn't happen. But God is good--I still got to enjoy some great hikes and some sweet time with Brett.

What I learned: 1. Dehydrated backpacking food is actually pretty good if you buy the right things.--Our favorites are from "Mary Jane's Farm". 2. Don't drink a whole Nalgene of kool aid before going to bed, especially if it's cold and rainy outside. 3. A campfire makes a big difference in your camping experience, especially in cold weather. 4. No one actually forcasts weather for Rocky Mountain National Park, you just have to make an educated guess based on the forecast of nearby towns (which might be 2000 to 3000 feet lower in elevation than where you're going) 5. Sheltered campsites are good. 6. Packing up camp in the snow/rain isn't much fun, but it can be done. 7. Hiking downhill has it's merits at the time, but it sure makes your shins sore the next day. 8. If you taunt the elk in the National Park, the rangers will call you down. (No, we didn't do that, but we saw it happen.)

A few years ago, in Yeposo, Mexico someone on our team said, "This is just like camping indoors." Now that I've experienced camping, I totally concur.

My favorite sights: 1. Lake Haiyaha--A beautiful lake with absolutely huge boulders spilling into it. It's in a place called Chaos Canyon, aptly named because of all the boulders that have rolled/fallen/tumbled down over the years. To get to the lake, you have to scramble across lots of boulders and if you look down in the right places, you can see the lake water between some of them. Completely cool. 2. The aspens--beautiful yellow against the dark greeen pines, spruces and firs. Spots of brilliant color that you can see as you gaze at the mountainscape from a distance. 3. Majestic bull elk sitting like kings guarding their harems. (Sorry, that's what they're called.) 4. A beautiful sunny day (our last day in Colorado), blue sky and all the tallest mountains in the park with distinct white caps on them.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home