The Harkey Blog

Monday, August 30, 2004

Dwight

Elspeth has a new word, "Dwight". Dwight's an older gentleman that works at the Neighborhood Market near our house. We see him every week when we do our Monday morning grocery shopping. He fills the Sam's cola machines, empties the trash, cleans up spills, collects grocery carts, and makes shopping fun for little kids. Dwight is wonderful with children. He greets us when we arrive at the store, and he walks us out to our car and helps us with our groceries each and every week. If there are no free cookies on a given day, Dwight brings my kids fruit snacks from a stash in his locker. (Can you believe this happens at a Wal-Mart?) Maitlyn loves for Dwight to push the cart really fast on the way to our car. It has become clear to me that one of the highlights of Dwight's week is to pick up Elspeth from the grocery cart and hold her while I load in our groceries. She used to be afraid of him, but now they're good pals. It sure is nice to go each week to the store knowing that we'll see at least one friendly face, and it's extra nice to know that my children will make someone's day. (For any of you that are at all worried that I let a stranger hold my child. . .I know that Dwight is a believer and he's involved in a local community group--so, it's really okay. )

1 Comments:

  • Hey Elise, this is John Nelson. I must admit that, as a over-protective new parent, I had a flash of worry about Dwight holding Elspeth. Thanks for clearing up that he's a believer...my anal-retentive, over-protective parent side calmed a lot. :)

    You should send this story to Wal*Mart! I could totally see this as a commercial!

    By Blogger John Nelson, at 2:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home