The Harkey Blog

Friday, September 16, 2011

Unhurried

Today was a good, slow day. I relish days without rushing. Those days tend to be less productive in terms of sheer numbers of tasks completed. However, they are far more peaceful and usually more conducive to building and maintaining relationships.

I enjoyed a slow, relaxing morning with my girls. We took the entire morning to get ready and do our household chores. I spent some time in the Word and did a few computer tasks. We did a little work in our front flower bed just because we felt like it. We ate a simple lunch and ran (only) one errand via bicycle. We rode on a portion of the bike trail that the kids hadn't seen in several months. We noticed the the beginnings of fall color and the similarities between the Spring Creek Trail in Fort Collins and the Scull Creek Trail in Fayetteville.

After that we spent about an hour and a half exploring the CSU Trial Garden. The girls drew in their nature journals, examined flowers, watched bees, called to me, "Mom, come look!" No one was in a hurry. We didn't have to rush, and we didn't even finish looking at all the flowers. We just enjoyed the time that we had.

We rode home, and made a few preparations to host our guests this evening, ladies from our Township (church small group). The girls decided to make place cards for everyone. Amelia took her dolls for a walk in the backyard. I decided to make a salad to go with the pizza we ordered.

We ate dinner with new friends. We learned a bit more about them and enjoyed playing a couple of games together. The girls truly enjoyed their time with these ladies. I am blessed to see them appreciate relationships with people of all ages.

There was a lot of activity in our day, but it was unhurried and simple compared to most that we experience. I was better able to enjoy each event than I am on the days when I am trying to cram in as much as possible.

Not every day can be like today. But I am grateful for this one, every moment of it.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home