The Harkey Blog

Tuesday, December 14, 2004

The $20 Restaurant Search

Brett and I are trying to do better at living within our means. That means for us that the vast majority of date nights need to be at $20 Restaurants. A $20 is one in which we can both eat an entree and get a soda for $20 or less (sometimes we stretch it to $25). Oh, and that $20 has to include the tip, too if it's a tipping place. I know there are some of you who do really well by splitting entrees with your sweetie, but that doesn't work for us. If we go to a restaurant, we end up ordering completely different things because we have different tastes, so splitting cannot be a factor in staying under $20. Also, the $20 Restaurant must be in Fayetteville because if you have to drive very far, the cost goes up with gas and babysitting time.

Here's our list so far: The Flying Burrito, Penguin Eds, Tim's Pizza, Hugo's, Fuddrucker's (added tonight) and WIng Stop. Do you have more suggestions for us?

Also, we want to hear reviews of the new Restaurants in Fayetteville, so blog about your eating adventures.

6 Comments:

  • Allison and I are big fans of Bizzy's. Great chili burger.

    By Blogger John Nelson, at 7:57 AM  

  • Elise, I personally love Applebee's due to its extensive menu and it is nostalgic for me to go there. Now the bill depends on a couple things: if any of you are like Stu, you end up wanting the MOST EXPENSIVE thing on the menu!:) But if you can handle settling for the middle ground, it's great! Plus you can get half-order salads, which I love, because meals at restaurants are always TOO BIG. I personally recommend the Asian/Sesame Chicken salad(something like that). Also, a lot of Mexican restaurants seems to be quite affordable . . . of course I always get the kids meal!:) Happy Hunting!

    By Blogger shauna, at 8:31 AM  

  • I was thinking about your "plight" the other day when Andrew and I went to Fuddruckers...great food, reasonable price, fun atmosphere. Andrew got a specialty burger and I got the Oriental Chicken Salad (yum!). We spent $17ish, but I didn't get a drink. So, I know you can definitely eat there for under $20.

    Another thing we like to do, I know this is harder for those with kids, is go on "lunch dates." Belvedeer's has a great $3.99 lunch special, and Taste of Thai is around $5.00, so we can get out of those places for cheaper at lunch.

    By Blogger Virginia, at 8:47 AM  

  • our big dinner place is Las Margaritas in Springdale. I know you are looking for places in Fayetteville, but you can compare Las Marg's to Elinitas or Acambaro down in Fayetteville. This may not be the nicest place to have dinner, but it's good and inexpensive. We usually spend $17 with tip included. When we lived in Phoenix that $17 turned into $25 real quick. Cost of living is just higher.

    By Blogger Jason, at 10:35 AM  

  • I like the hospital cafeteria myself. You don't even have to tip!

    They actually have some good food every now and then.

    By Blogger jlo, at 1:06 PM  

  • Curt's Place in Johnson is actually really good if you like hodge-podge menus. It's on Main Street between Gregg and College, right next to a gas station / car wash (gotta love Johnson!). It's like $5/person for a decently sized portion. It's yummy! Kinda greasy, but yummy!

    By Blogger John Nelson, at 5:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home